xen-tools

[Xen-tools] RE: [Xen-devel] Hi,something about the xentrace tool

To: "George Dunlap " <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>, "Rob Gardner" <rob.gardner@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-tools] RE: [Xen-devel] Hi,something about the xentrace tool
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:14:17 +0100
Cc: xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rickey berkeley <rickey.berkeley@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:14:56 -0700
Sender: xen-tools-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Once again, there is no explicit copying of the data between kernel
and
> > user space, so nobody should be worried about it.
>
> There's no copying from the HV to the xentrace process.  But there is
> copying from xentrace to the dom0 kernel for the output file.  Some
> copying is necessary right now, because rather than writing out the
> pages verbatim, xentrace writes out the pcpu before writing out each
> record:

We have the records in huge per-cpu blocks in memory, then write them
out individually?
That's nuts.

We should keep the IO page aligned, reserving the first record entry of
each block to fill in when we do a write-out to indicate the cpu and
#records in the batch.

I'd say this fix is less important than logging the number of dropped
records, but if we ever want to reduce the capture overhead in the
future we'll have to fix this.

Ian