xen-research

RE: [Xen-research] Security through Isolation in Xen

To: "mickael.salaun@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mickael.salaun@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-research] Security through Isolation in Xen
From: "Passera, Pablo R" <pablo.r.passera@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:19:38 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Protti, Duilio J" <duilio.j.protti@xxxxxxxxx>, "Giusti, Gisela" <gisela.giusti@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 04:19:51 -0800
Sender: xen-research-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Mickaël,
        Thanks for your interest in the project. Here are my answers...

>I'm interesting about your project, and especialy how it is working now.
>Is it freezed ? Are you always working on it ? I hope so.

The project is in a pre-alpha stage. We are maintaining it and we are hoping
that people that is interested in the concept can continue our work.

>do you use XenStore to transfert the binary?

No, we are not using XenStore to send the file. Currently the file is being
sent through the network using SSH. This was our first approach, however, I
think there are many other mechanisms that will have better performance that
this one. For example, you can use shared memory between VMs, of course this
will impose a security risk that need to be considered.

>And for the test guest, are you root too ? If so, a malware could change
the display
>result or something else to cheat on the result. If not, it could
>change some other stuff to bypass a simple "display result".

The guest that will run the suspicious file is a Windows machine. The
malware can do whatever it wants in that machine and it won't affect the
user VM. Right now, if you look at the screenshots, you will see that there
are two windows machines. The final idea is that the user machine uses the
full screen and when it opens an application in the sandbox machine, the
application windows is displayed on the user machine desktop, even when it
is actually running in the other VM. We were thinking about different
mechanisms to do this, one can be that the Dom0 overlays the sandbox machine
display over the user VM, or maybe we can use the Windows XP windows manager
or the GDI+ to send the windows to the other machine (I don?t know if this
is possible...)

>So, I think the only way to analyse a malware execution is to have an
>external point of view. Have you a good (simple) solution to debug an
>application from a virtual host through the virtualizer ?

No, we don?t have yet a mechanism to do that. That should be one of the
features that Isolated Execution should provide to the antivirus software to
allow them to detect a malware or a virus in the sandbox maybe based on the
behavior.

>Have you get feedback for a security use ?

We were always looking at the market needs for a solution like this. The
concept of security through isolation has been around for some time,
however, I think there are many problems with usability and deployment that
were not solved yet. One example is what Symantec is doing
(http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10142893-83.html). The use case that they
are proposing is a user surfing the web and downloading a suspicious file,
then that file is run in a sandbox machine. This is very similar to what
Isolated Execution is proposing.

Well, as you can see, the project is an early stage and there are many
things to do (another thing for example is how to copy the changes that were
done to the sandbox machine to the user machine if the file is not a virus).
So, you are welcome to participate.

Best regards,
Pablo