xen-research

Re: [Xen-users] xm save -c

To: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xm save -c
From: "Mike Sun" <msun@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:45:56 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:46:34 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=5qX4a+rvOnAcfIyMqhH/9kAbBOia58jPVNHIEnB4XO0=; b=s4rFLopaem5V8mcsYusTwtqbA8anKqVHwErrptmAGc6J3i3eamj7IKtohcLcwunNG7 qHZ2UiLxaItxdi/v6uZGyJreOq4RSzXF9xefx1XkpNTYthlCGLGeNqwVu7KlfixxwDC0 nqYrd0dZXJMGVDpzI9wMkbM9zxT3yw3l2/eyM=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=nDTUn65AC8foW0m70EenQblNAA327KN83xMiRMRyz4Fjkdw2yN8E5Bwhy6j8AFr9jn O4Q6Kfpul2EuGdMH/xYSP3g4ROsRiWTWlWS+jiIrjDErl5y7QUCAxs1wyjV+oXaYXggY T37Q9leyghtF76xbKEYVymd7s6nryi/cxn1OY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Nick,

> I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to "checkpoint" without pausing the
> domain?  I can't do something like an hourly checkpoint if the domain pauses
> every hour - the users on the domUs would kill me.  Is "seamless
> checkpointing" something that's being developed, something that can be done
> another way, or something I should just give up on now?

I've been working on something for my research that probably addresses
what you're looking for: low latency/downtime checkpointing.  There
are two ways I know this can be done.

You can modify the live-migration mechanism in Xen to save a
checkpoint instead of migrating to another host.  I don't know why
this hasn't been provided in the xm save tool, but it's a pretty
simple hack to get working since the xm migrate and xm save codebase
is basically the same.  If you're interested, I can send patches to
allow you to do that.  Then basically on a checkpoint, pre-copying
would be used to cut the actual time the domU has to be paused.

The other way that I've implemented for my research project is to use
copy-on-write.  I've implemented a prototype and in the middle of
writing paper for publication.  It's not suited for production use,
but I'd be glad to contribute the code if there's interest.

Mike