xen-research

[Xen-research] Round of Introductions

To: xen-research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-research] Round of Introductions
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:28:49 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:28:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=3Oxe/nl/3jtMjPCjnMLyc9kD68Y5pjFD+oiSxdygDec=; b=eefDd5jsOzIUFICYj/ve0YLI5XDpIdeAKQig1UQg0SmEiZWHekxeb+0oKZNR6LDMSd B/j2ZBR7NfUZq3h0HcxcpDZaVUnacdH01lvAB7H8anjJzmaLlFB8VkmT95VpUaSZN8Rl BNmhU8+kYi4gN0PyV/rEGSroJ1/QJjlFIPbfQ=
Sender: xen-research-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

This list was starting in hopes of having discussion about some research
projects involving Xen. Either existing ones that need feedback, or new ones
for ideas.

I assume that you joined this list to either share your ideas or contribute to
others. Research can often fall in between users and developers. So this list
is a chance to get some ideas out there that are not yet generally applicable
to users and may not yet be developed enough to discuss with developers.

I'd like to start with a round of introductions to see who is here and also to
try to spur conversation about the various research and possible points for
collaboration.

I can start. My name is Todd Deshane and I have been using and testing
Xen since it came out in 2003. I was a part of a team at Clarkson that
published "Xen and the Art of Repeated Research". We have also done
quite a bit of research on the isolation properties of Xen and other
virtualization systems. I am also a co-author of the book "Running Xen"
(http://runningxen.com).

For a more complete list of information see
http://xen.cosi.clarkson.edu and http://todddeshane.net/research.

The project that I am most interested in continuing work on and getting
feedback on is a project based on a past paper "Data Protection and
Rapid Recovery from Attack with a Virtual Private File Server and Virtual
Machine Appliances". The basic idea is to use Xen to provide a better
desktop experience for users. If you are interested in more details of the
idea, take a look at my PhD proposal:
http://todddeshane.net/research/ToddDeshane_PhD_Proposal.pdf

I would love any feedback you have.

I am also really interested in hearing from others. If you don't have a
particular project, then simply tell a little about yourself, why you joined
the list? and what kinds of things you would like to discuss and contribute
to?

Thanks,
Todd

--