xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] 64bit apps in DomU should get a more useful error message

To: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [XenPPC] 64bit apps in DomU should get a more useful error message
From: Christian Ehrhardt <ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:47:29 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 04:45:06 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Example:
#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
  printf ("Hello World!\n");
}

Compiled (on Dom0):
gcc -m32 hellobit.c -o hellobit.32
gcc -m64 hellobit.c -o hellobit.64

Now Executed in a xenppc DomU
./hellobit.32
Hello World!
./hellobit.64
-bash: ./hellobit.64: No such file or directory

As far as I remember xenppc DomU systems are 32bit (please correct me if not) even if our kernel may say otherwise:
uname -a
Linux linux 2.6.18-Xen #25 SMP Sun Jul 29 00:29:02 CEST 2007 ppc64 ppc64 ppc64 GNU/Linux

I played a bit around with powerpc32 which changes the env so that e.g. uname -m will report a 32bit system, but this did neither help me to get 64bit apps running (expected) nor better error messages. The problem is not that 64bit apps do not run, but I think the message should be something better than "No such file or directory" ->My question now: could/should we add a more sophisticated mechanism to give the user running into this something like "you are not 64bit" ?

--

Grüsse / regards, Christian Ehrhardt

IBM Linux Technology Center, Open Virtualization
+49 7031/16-3385
Ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen