xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] Re: shutdown/destroy domU problem

To: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [XenPPC] Re: shutdown/destroy domU problem
From: Doron Shiloach <doron@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:16:35 -0500
Cc: Dilma M Da silva <dilmasilva@xxxxxxxxxx>, Maged Michael <magedm@xxxxxxxxxx>, David M Daly <dmdaly@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 07:16:21 -0800
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jimi,

>> Please try executing "/sbin/poweroff" manually on the DomU and see if that works.

(none):/ # /sbin/poweroff
WARNING: could not determine runlevel - doing soft poweroff
  (it's better to use shutdown instead of poweroff from the command line)
shutdown: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory

I am using a custom init script with this domU, which from what you wrote previously, seems to not be creating a "real" init process, preventing the xm shutdown from working.
What do you mean by a "real" init process?  Is it possible for me to define init and still be able to use the shutdown command?

As for the xm destroy, I mean that I can use the command once (usually) , and it works, removing that domU.
However, when I try to use it on a second domU, the machine freezes.  From what I understand, it is preferable to use the "shutdown" command, so this is a secondary issue, for me at least..
Thanks,

Doron Shiloach
Tieline: 862-3110
Phone: (914) 945-3110

Jimi Xenidis/Watson/IBM

12/07/2006 04:18 PM

Doron Shiloach/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
David M Daly/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Dilma M Da silva/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Maged Michael/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
Re: shutdown/destroy domU problemLink

Doron,
First, these are awesome questions for the mailing list  and I wish you would use it, I've asked for this time and time again.
Second, when you say "xm shutdown" this sends a message to the DomU to execute the program "/sbin/poweroff", if this command does not work then you will never shut down.  Please try executing "/sbin/poweroff" manually on the DomU and see if that works.  For example, if I try on one of our NFSROOT images with "init=/bin/sh" the following happens:
9:/# /sbin/poweroff
Broadcast message from root (console) (Wed Dec 31 19:02:07 1969):
The system is going down for system halt NOW!
shutdown: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
9:/#
and the DomU does not shut down because there is no "real" init process to create the /dev/intctl pipe, this is why I cannot "xm shutdown" this domain.
If I boot the same thing but this time I do not define "init" but add " S " to the kernel parameters, init runs (but places be in single user mode) and now /sbin/poweroff runs if I run it manually or if I run it from XM.

Third, I have _never_ had a problem with "xm destroy" and it works instantly for me and I _hate_ saying "for me".
What do you mean "but using it a second time"?
The system freezing usually indicates that a DomU has panic()ed, this is currently an ourstanding bug in XenPPC but is usually only seen on UP versions.  It would be news to me to see this on an SMP system.

thank you
http://lists.xensource.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xen-ppc-devel

-JX

Doron Shiloach/Watson/IBM

12/07/06 11:55 AM

Jimi Xenidis/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Dilma M Da silva/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, David M Daly/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Maged Michael/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
shutdown/destroy domU problem

Hi Jimi,

I'm having problems with the shutdown/destroy domU functionality with the latest version of Xen that David released.
Here are the versions for Xen (top) and Linux (bottom) that we are using.

cso85:~/xen-maria-12-4/xen-ppc # hg tip
changeset: 13183:0e85b389980a
tag: tip
user: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
date: Fri Dec 01 19:11:02 2006 -0500
summary: [XEN][POWERPC] should comment the Power Managment workaround in the code as well

so85:~/xen-maria-12-4/linux/linux-xen-ppc # hg tip
changeset: 33309:f0981398b745
tag: tip
user: butrico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date: Mon Nov 27 13:10:34 2006 -0500
summary: Applied LTT patch

In short, the shutdown feature does not work properly; after issuing xm shutdown domUid, the xm list still shows the domU present.
The xm destroy causes the domain to go away, but using it a second time causes the machine to freeze.
Do you have time to follow this thread?  Are there other people I should talk to about this? Thanks for your help,

Doron Shiloach
Tieline: 862-3110
Phone: (914) 945-3110