xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] Re: Question about: [LINUX] Various fixes for mmapping I/O and

To: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [XenPPC] Re: Question about: [LINUX] Various fixes for mmapping I/O and foreign memory pages.
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:58:43 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, XenPPC-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:59:06 -0800
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13/11/06 8:50 pm, "Jimi Xenidis" <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    "auto-translate guests can use remap_pfn_range() rather than
>     direct_remap_pfn_range()."

This change was specifically made so that mmap of /dev/mem would work (i.e.,
mapping of I/O memory) on mini-xen (dom0 guest running on minimal
non-virtualising Xen shim).

> And code says:
>     kfraser 12392:  /* Unsupported for auto-translate guests. */
>     kfraser 12392:  if (xen_feature(XENFEAT_auto_translated_physmap))
>     kfraser 12392:   return -ENOSYS;
>
> Is there a privcmd that "auto-translate guests" can use or are you
> expecting someone to fill this functionality in?

This needs filling in. Specifically: how will another domain's memory appear
in the local pseudophysical memory map (since that is the address space of
guest pagetable entries)?

 -- Keir