xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] VIO Block and Xm-Test

To: XenPPC-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [XenPPC] VIO Block and Xm-Test
From: Tony Breeds <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:56:35 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:56:52 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,
        I'm slowly working my way through a default run on xm-test on my
JS20 trying to determine if the tests that fail represent real problems
with xen on PPC, or if they're showing problems with the tests themselves.

By correcting some of the create/* tests (patches posted to xen-devel)
XenPPC now passes that whole group.

In looking at the block-* tests, I see that the failures are due to the
domU kernel including scsi support, which then causes a conflict on major
number 8, resulting in a lot of failures in xm-test.

To test, I've disabled the SCSI subsystem (CONFIG_SCSI=n) for domU and the
below are the test results.

Default domU kernel:
---
Xm-test execution summary:
  PASS:  19
  FAIL:  5
  XPASS: 0
  XFAIL: 0

Details:

 FAIL: 01_block_attach_device_pos
         block-attach failed device did not switch to Connected state

 FAIL: 02_block_attach_file_device_pos
         block-attach failed device did not switch to Connected state

 FAIL: 04_block_attach_device_repeatedly_pos
         Device is not actually attached to domU

 FAIL: 05_block_attach_and_dettach_device_repeatedly_pos
         block-attach failed device did not switch to Connected state

 FAIL: 09_block_attach_and_dettach_device_check_data_pos
         File created was lost or not updated!

---
Same tests run on domU with CONFIG_SCSI=n
---
Xm-test execution summary:
  PASS:  23
  FAIL:  1
  XPASS: 0
  XFAIL: 0

Details:

 FAIL: 09_block_attach_and_dettach_device_check_data_pos
         File created was lost or not updated!

---
I need to look into the last failure.

I'd like to know how everyone feels about creating a "make xen_domu_config"
target which turns of the driver that aren't needed?

Or alternatively suggestions on how to keep a unified kernel image that "works"?

Yours Tony

   linux.conf.au       http://linux.conf.au/ || http://lca2007.linux.org.au/
   Jan 15-20 2007      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!