xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] Cannot boot from local disk

On Oct 6, 2006, at 8:25 AM, Kiyokuni Kawachiya wrote:

Could you make sure that you show the cmdline as both Xen _and_ Linux
see it? I suspect that perhpas the order by which we evaluate the
CMDLINE may be incorrect.

Jimi,

Let me first say that my analysis is based on our internal version, since
the official version does not boot from local disk by another problem.

AFAIK, the "internal" version is Xen with the SMP patch that has been sent to this list,
Is there more?

Following is the boot log with old XenPPC.

bootargs = xen -- root=/dev/hda3 sysrq=1 insmod=sym53c8xx insmod=ipr
      boot_of_module: Dom0 is linked in: 0x44edbc[size 0x29954d]

[...]
And, this is the log with new XenPPC.

      bootargs = xen
      boot_of_module: Dom0 is linked in: 0x44f6bc[size 0x29954d]
      mod0: 177 E L F

[...]

Yaboot actually re assigns the /chosen/bootargs property in the firmware. It is possible that the new logic for selecting which command line to use is broken.

I'll bet it is this clause in boot_of.c:

464 if (builtin_cmdline[0] == '\0') {
465     rc = of_getprop(bof_chosen, "bootargs", builtin_cmdline,
466     CONFIG_CMDLINE_SIZE);
467     if (rc > CONFIG_CMDLINE_SIZE)
468 of_panic("bootargs[] not big enough for /chosen/bootargs \n");
469 }

I assume you are not building with CMDLINE= in you make command?
It seems we have lost the ability to make (builtin_cmdline[0] == '\0')

Kawachiya-san, if you force this if clause to be true you should be fine. We'll get it fixed soon enuff.
-JX