xen-ppc-devel

[Xen-devel] Re: [rfc] [patch] grant_entry.flags accessors

On 27 Jun 2006, at 17:11, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

In general I'm skeptical of blindly performing these operations on
unknown data. I think it's pretty clear that is not a good interface,
and what you're suggesting is codifying this behavior in the interface.

More practically speaking, I would be shocked if the Linux maintainers
would accept that sort of change to their atomic interfaces.

I shouldn't imagine they'd mind the interface being made more permissive, with no performance loss for the common case and no extra API complexity, but anyway: How about add a ARCH_SUPPORTS_UNALIGNED_CMPXCHG and move special gnttab_cmpxchg() definition to gnttab.c, compilation dependent on that? Or rename the gnttab_cmpxchg to synch_cmpxchg_unaligned so at least the name is a bit more generic. It could then be used in other contexts.

The Xen change is okay, but gnttab_clear_flag() would be a better function name if the function is really going to be gnttab specific. Or rename to clear_bit_unaligned and move definition to bitops.h. As with synch_cmpxchg_unaligned, the new function could then be used in other contexts.

 -- Keir