xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] GDB Summary: Was: warning: gpproxy does not work with latest gd

To: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [XenPPC] GDB Summary: Was: warning: gpproxy does not work with latest gdb
From: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:46:39 -0400
Cc: xen-ppc-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 02:47:05 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jun 26, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

First off, I had a really old GDB, one I built from 2003-08-12-cvs, but I upgraded my gcc (gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20060613 ) and the result was not debuggable, (auto variables were KAKA). So I grabbed the gdb CVS head (GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060626-cvs) and gave it a try.

they seem to have changed the protocol quite a bit and I don't have the python-kung-fu to make it happy.

Thankfully, my gdb-kung-fu _is_ up to snuff :) and it is possible to tell gdb what and what not to use. To continue to use gpproxy stick these into your .gdbinit:

  set remote X-packet 0
  set remote read-aux-vector-packet 0
  set remote symbol-lookup-packet 0
  set remote verbose-resume-packet 0
  set remote Z-packet 1
  set remote get-thread-local-storage-address-packet 0
  set remote supported-packets-packet 0
  set remotetimeout 5

It is way, way, WAY faster now, gdb is more intelligent about the remote commands that it uses and "next" and "step" command which were painfully slow work at a much more reasonable speed.

Oh yeah, my debugging makes sense and the KAKA has gone away.

-JX