xen-ppc-devel

Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] [3/3] dom0_ops explicitly sized types

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 02:02:10PM -0500, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 18:39 +0300, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 06:04:34PM -0500, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> >
> > > Replace 'long' in the dom0_ops and privcmd structures with uint64_t.
> >
> > I am all in favor of identifying interfaces using explicitly sized
> > types. The standard kernel style is to use u64 not uint64_t though.
>
> (There is plenty of uint.._t in Linux.)

Yeah... but. That's not the Officially Sanctioned Way, except in
headers that are shared with userspace, and in a perfect world no
headers would be shared with userspace.

> I assume you're referring specifically to the privcmd structure change,
> which is the only Linux-specific part of the patch. The privcmd
> structure is shared between userspace and the kernel. Since "u64" is a
> kernel type, we need to use "uint64_t", which has meaning in
> userspace.

Oh well, I didn't realize it was shared with userspace... sorry for
the false alarm.

Cheers,
Muli