xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] [rfc] Serial discovery.

On May 4, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Maria Butrico wrote:

The ns device driver is shared between ia and ppc (and who knows what else). What concerns me more is the way in which inb/outb is selected and furthermore the fact that up to now on ppc we have been using the emulated inb/outb and with my changes we would start using readb/writeb exclusively.

The NS driver assumes that if the io_base > 0x10000 (the 16-bit limit of ISA) then it must be an absolute address, and therefor has to be ioremap()ed and accessed with the read*() interfaces that use absolute addressing.

Not sure if we'll ever see a Zilog off an ISA, we certainly could.
It is way more likely that we'll all see an NS not on ISA :).

Hollis objects to removing the inb/outb, I don't feel as strongly so I guess we can keep it.

  Do I hear consensus on doing away with inb/outb for zilog?

I'd simply keep zilog ioremap()ed, readb()/writeb() and the first person who sees it on an ISA can add that logic, but feel free to repeat the NS logic if you wish.

-JX