xen-ppc-devel

RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] 32/64-bit hypercall interface revisited

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Hollis Blanchard" <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] 32/64-bit hypercall interface revisited
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:15:08 +0800
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:15:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, Keir,
        Could you reveal something about how to kill mlock() completely?
:-) Current mlock() can ensure the ptes related to user buffer existing
in page table, and thus xen can copy from/to that buffer directly. By
removing mlock(), do you mean page fault may be injected to guest
then?

        On xen/ia64, the hypercall parameter copy has been an issue
for a long time, since xen/ia64 only caches virtual TLB and doesn't
walk guest page table. Even mlock() can't ensure
copy_from/to_guest successful. People are considering either
injecting page fault to guest and then resume the hypercall, or
lock parameter pages by using similar mechanism like PPC's
proposal. So we're interested in your idea to see whether applicable
to xen/ia64.

Thanks,
Kevin