xen-merge

RE: [Xen-merge] Need guidance on moving Xenlinux/ia64 changes to 2.6.15

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, <xen-merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-merge] Need guidance on moving Xenlinux/ia64 changes to 2.6.15
From: "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:00:54 -0800
Cc: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>, "Williamson, Alex \(Linux Kernel Dev\)" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:09:23 +0000
Sender: xen-merge-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Include Tony and the IA-64 mailing list.

Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:
> I'd like to get the Xenlinux/ia64 changes and tree up from 2.6.12
> to 2.6.15 and would like timing/planning guidance on how best
> to do this.  There are a handful of changed files and a couple
> of handfuls of xen files.  There is also some buildtime scripting
> to move files around that Xenlinux/x86 uses and Xenlinux/ia64 doesn't,
> or drop files from driver Makefiles (e.g. netback) that aren't yet
> working on Xenlinux/ia64 (c.f. sparse/arch/ia64/xen-mkbuildtree-pre)
>
> Questions:
> 1) What is the difference between linux-2.6-merge.hg and
>    linux-2.6-xen.hg and which should I be using?
> 2) Should I merge into one of the linux-2.6-*.hg trees
>    or wait until the linux-2.6-*.hg tree gets pulled into
>    xen-unstable.hg/linux-2.6-sparse?
> 3) If merging into linux-2.6-*.hg, I'm thinking rather than
>    send a big patch that will require someone to do a bunch
>    of "hg add"s, I would just provide an ftp'able tgz file
>    of the updated hg tree that could be ftp'd and merged.
>    Will that work, or is there a better way?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> P.S. In the spirit of Christian's recent list, here's the
> list of all the files that change for Xenlinux/ia64.  Note
> that as we switch to VP/P2M, this list will (sadly) grow.

Dan,

The size of the changes does not matter. As we discussed at Xen Summit,
Tony is happy to take para-virutalization code consistent with x86
XenLinux (such as event handling, SMP support, etc.). We found so many
things missing in IA-64 Xenlinux today.

> ======================
> Xen/ia64 changed files
> ======================
>
> Xen/ia64 config:
>  Files:       arch/ia64/Kconfig
>  Files:       arch/ia64/Makefile
>  Descr:       enable Xen hypervisor support
>
> ia64 assembly routine hooks:
>  Files:       arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S
>  Files:       arch/ia64/kernel/pal.S
>  Descr:       add indirection to allow for hooks in assembly routines
with
>       privilege-sensitive instructions and performance critical
> privileged
>       instructions
>
> ia64 startup
>  Files:       arch/ia64/kernel/head.S
>  Files:       arch/ia64/kernel/setup.c
>  Descr:       early hooks for Xen-specific setup
>
> ia64 privileged instruction macro hooks:
>  Files:       include/asm-ia64/{gcc,intel}_intrin.h
>               include/asm-ia64/pal.h
>               include/asm-ia64/processor.h
>  Descr:
>
> ia64 "flags" simplification
>  Files:       include/asm-ia64/system.h
>               include/asm-ia64/processor.h
>  Descr:       flags need only use psr.i bit not entire psr;
saving/restoring
>       entire psr is very expensive to paravirtualize

Jun
---
Intel Open Source Technology Center