xen-merge

Re: [Xen-merge] Missing devpts in domU / i8237.c issue

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-merge] Missing devpts in domU / i8237.c issue
From: Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:43:39 +0100
Cc: xen-merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:51:02 +0000
Sender: xen-merge-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 02:58:36PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > the following patch should do the job (sent to the maintainer as well):
>
> Which is ugly and they would rightly reject it.

If as "they" you refer to the linux maintainers, I would totally agree
with your point. However this has nothing to do here, it just modify
an (already) ugly approch to fix a problem with DEVPTS that a lots user
are seeing.

> The right approach would be to make sure that all such subsystems are
> dependent on appropiate symbols (PCI etc.) and just don't define them
> for kernels without hardware access.

It actually make it as such, as to reallow one of the subsystem we
desactivate the ugly way to do that.

Removing all ifdef hooks into drivers/Kconfig is a lot more intrusive
approch (maybe reuse UML hooks into a more generic name, touch lots of
drivers/.../Kconfig, and a lots of headache to have the right
dependancies) and doesn't fit into the quickly fix people current
problem with linux-2.6.15-xen.

--
Vincent Hanquez