xen-merge

[Xen-merge] Documentation for merge process (perish the thought! :-)

To: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-merge] Documentation for merge process (perish the thought! :-)
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:58:43 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:01:30 +0000
Sender: xen-merge-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
First, Jan, I want to acknowledge your excellent work so far.
I understand from similar experience on Xen/ia64 that this
work is very difficult, time-consuming, and -- though critical --
often unrewarded.

A suggestion:  You are rapidly becoming an expert in what
it takes to port Linux to run on Xen.  A useful by-product
of your effort would be to create a list of every difference
between Linux and Xenlinux along with WHY this difference
is necessary.  This document would be exceedingly useful
when the effort commences to merge all of the changes upstream
and would also be helpful to future Linux (and other OS)
porters.

Dan

P.S.  In the code, #ifdef CONFIG_XEN /* _crossref-number_ */
would be a good way to cross-ref the document.