xen-introspect

RE: [Xen-introspect] Status Update

To: Steve Brueckner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'xen-introspect@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-introspect@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-introspect] Status Update
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 15:37:12 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 02:56:27 -0700
Sender: xen-introspect-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The second problem is the difficulty in altering the hypervisor for
> those of us unfamiliar with it.  For example, we spent about a hundred
> man-hours
> trying to implement "memory trigger" functionality, but had to abandon
> the effort.  I think the group needs some level of dedicated support from
> XenSource or Citrix to answer questions.

I think you'll find that folks like Tim Deegan and Gianluca Guida would be very
helpful in reviewing design proposals and commenting on patches.

I'd very much like to see the ability to add type-codes to pages that enable
synchronous and asynchronous triggers[*] to be delivered to a "monitor
application" when pages are accessed, written, or executed[**]. These events
can be captured through a fairly simple modification to the HAP and shadow
code, and then delivered to the  nominated monitor application in a manner very
similar to the mechanism used for delivering IO and MMIO events to qemu-dm.

Best,
Ian

[*] Synchronous triggers block the VCPU until a response from the monitor
application is received, whereas asynchronous triggers may be queued until the
queue fills.

[**] I'd also add a special fast-path page-type that marks a page as
executable-but-read-only, but allows it to automatically revert to the
writeable-but-not-executable page type without requiring a synchronous trigger
to manually changing the page type.