RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Where are DTR6 and DTRA defined and set?

To: "Isaku Yamahata" <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Paul Leisy" <pleisy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Where are DTR6 and DTRA defined and set?
From: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:19:02 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:19:23 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Basically Isaku is correct,
I suppose you are using Montecito, there are two threads per core.
These two threads share TLB cache.

There is a field "tid" in TLB entry to identify which thread this TLb
entry belongs to.

Usually
TLB entry #0 belongs to thread 0
TLB entry #1 belongs to thread 1
TLB entry #2 belongs to thread 0
TLB entry #3 belongs to thread 1
And so on.

- Anthony

Isaku Yamahata wrote:
> I guess the LSB 1 bit is used for thread id or something else.
> Does the processor support threading?
>
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:11:49PM +0900, Isaku Yamahata wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Hmm, although I haven't ever used hw probe, it looks like that
>> those indexes you reported are left shifted by one.
>> Could you check the manual of your hardware probe?
>>
>> For VTi guest, Xen surely uses KENREL, PERCPU_DATA,
>> (CURRENT_STACK if the stack isn't mapped by KERNEL), MAPPED_REGS and
>> VHPT. So DTR0, 1, 2, 3, 5 should be valid.
>> By shifting left them by one, we get 0, 2, 4, 6, A.
>> Those are which you reported.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 02:24:29PM -0700, Paul Leisy wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Using a hardware probe while running an HVM guest, I examined
>>> the Data TLB to see what TRs Xen had setup. It showed that
>>> DTR0,2,4,6,A were valid. Searching the Xen source code, I found
>>> these defined:
>>>
>>> DTR0 = IA64_TR_KERNEL
>>> DTR1 = IA64_TR_PERCPU_DATA
>>> DTR2 = IA64_TR_CURRENT_STACK