RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] pv_ops: imntrinsic pv_ops

To: "Isaku Yamahata" <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] pv_ops: imntrinsic pv_ops
From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:10:13 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 02:13:40 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Isaku Yamahata wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:51:28PM +0800, Dong, Eddie wrote:
>> Current definition of intrinsic APIs seems to be too expansive, this
>> one
>>
>> give alternative way to do simply and reduce some changes.
>> If this applies, further simplification can be applied.
>> Thx, eddie
>
> Interesting approach.
> If we can replace most of them, I'll apply.
> But half converted state is inconsistent.

Can't it replace others? All of them can be done
in this way.

> Defining those function by macro is a good idea.
> But, undef/redefine CONFIG_PARAVIRT looks ugly and
> defining conflicting name would be confusing.

Ideally they should be in a seperate file, or at end of paravirt.c
where #undef is clean.

> I guess your concern is removing bunch of #define ia64_xxx ...

Not exactly. I just think it is cleaner and smaller in patch size.

> (And yes, I agree with you to clean them up.)
> So how about something like the following?
>
> in intrinsic.h
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_APRAVIRT
> #define IA64_INTRINSIC_API(name)      paravirt. ## name

Do u mean pv_cpu_ops. ## name ?

> #else
> #define IA64_INTRINSIC_API(name)      ia64_native_ ## name
> #endif
>
> #define ia64_fc                               IA64_INTRINSIC(fc)
>
> and keep ia64_native_xxx definitions.

I want to keep ia64_xxx definition since it is an unnecessary change.
BTW, if we review at diff against original one, it looks better.

> This doesn't depend on the number of arguments.

??? It is always one parameter.

Thanks, eddie