RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] pv_ops: move binary patching to later after CPU ini

To: "Isaku Yamahata" <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] pv_ops: move binary patching to later after CPU initialization
From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:44:14 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 04:45:20 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Isaku Yamahata wrote:
> I guess you just followed x86 way, but delaying until check_bug()
> is too late for IA64 case because of at least ia64_get_cpuid().

No. Binary patching is just optimization, while pv_ops hook
is installed at very beginning.

> At this moment I'm not sure how late binary patching can
> be delayed, though.
> Presumably it is necessary to revise boot protocol.

Any time as if SMC sequence is considered.
Putting together with original Linux patching code will make things
simple.

> Renaming xen_paravirt_patch() to xen_patch() seems reasonable,
> so I applied only the renaming part.

I strongly suggest you check in entry.S patch first and then everything
will
be very simple.

And your above concern can be solved too.

Thanks, eddie