[Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [patch 00/15] ia64: kexec: Map EFI memory in the sa

To: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [patch 00/15] ia64: kexec: Map EFI memory in the same location as Linux
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 06:49:26 -0700
Cc: Aron Griffis <aron@xxxxxx>, Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 05:50:06 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Simon,

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 15:54 +0900, Simon Horman wrote:

> thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there are a few problems,
> but hopefully we have moved forwards.
>
> With regards to patch 13, "ia64: kexec: Set page size identity mapping
> of EFI in alt_itlb_miss", it is kind of amusing that you report that
> your rx3600 works without it. Amusing because I have it noted down
> as a fix to allow rx3600 to boot :-) I guess I got confused somewhere
> along the way. I will drop it from the series.

   It may well be required after patch 15 is applied to enable
everything.  All that I'm noting is that patches 1-13 on their own,
don't boot on any of my hardware, which makes doing a bisect difficult.

> As for the SAL calls failing, I was kind of hoping that problem would
> have been solved by various other fixes that I made along the way.
> But its not really surprising that its still there given that
> I had not spent time on it specifically. Unfortunately
> it doesn't manifest on any hardware that I have access to. Is it
> possible for you to provide access to a machine for me like last time?

   Yes, I'll see if I can get it setup for access.

> Incidently, my rx2620 has, the following. I updraded to that late last
> year, though I notice that 4.29 was released even later last year, I
> will try and upgrade.
>
>    EFI Boot Manager ver 1.10 [14.62]  Firmware ver 4.27 [4721]
>
> Lastly, with the superdome problem. I'm not sure that there is
> much problem tackling that while the SAL problem exists.
> I suspect the two are related.

   Hopefully so since the superdome is a shared system and it's more
difficult to setup remote access.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.