RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Time for hybrid virtualization?

To: "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, "xen-ia64-devel" <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Time for hybrid virtualization?
From: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:06:55 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:08:59 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have been thinking about making dom0 VT domain for a long time.
There are some history I want to share.
In 2005, pava-dom0 is not available,
Intel team built VT-dom0 and run VT-guest domain on it.
Since at that time, VT domain was relative slow, so we moved to
para-dom0.

Hybrid virtualization is more suitable for IA64 than IA32 from the point
of the performance.

1. Memory virtualization,
        para-domain for IA32 is using direct page table access
        VTx-domain for IA32 is using shadow page table or EPT,
        In theory direct page table is faster.  IMHO, That's the major
reason, VTx-domain is slower than para-domain

        While for IA64, both VTi-domain and para-domain are using same
technology. There is no perfomance degradation in memory virlualization.

2. CPU virtualization
        para-domain is using memory to emulate vcpu.
        Vti-domain currently is using memory to emulate vcpu, while
later on VT-I may move some vcpu context into shadow register.
        Accessing shadow register may be faster than accessing memory.
        In summary, I think there are similar performance in terms of
cpu vitualization.

3. Device vitualiztion
        Both para-domain and VT-I domain can use same technology.

There were some issues we encounterd on building Vti-dom0( there is no
modification for dom0 linux kernel at all),
1. need an interrupt vector to handle event channel,
        how to reserve an interrupt vector?
        What's the interrupt vector priority?
2. When dom0 wants to map other Vti-domain memory, dom0 don't have
physical address space for it,
        so foreign mapped guest memory don't have responding dom0 guest
physical address.
        This may have heavy impact on the infrastructure on dom0. We
need to resolve it.

If we use hybrid mode, above two issues can be resolved with current
method.
Hybrid mode is to use VT-I technology to virtualize CPU.

Running dom0 on VT mode is feasible, we have proved this.
There should be no explicit performance degradation for dom0.
While moving dom0 to Vt mode may need great effort, but it is worthwise,
It reduces the effort to maintain xenolinux,
It's painful, Redhat has complained it.

Running dom0 on VT mode is great.

I'm looking forward to what you are thinking about it.

- Anthony