[Xen-devel] [RFC] hvm-stub for ia64

To: Xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] [RFC] hvm-stub for ia64
From: tgingold@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:59:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:50:28 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

this is my initial work on hvm-stub domains.
HVM-stub domains are a mix of PV and HVM: it requires VT extension but
look externally as a PV domain.

All the io emulation is done within the domain by a stub firmware.  This
layer translates raw IO accesses to PV commands, ie it can run unmodified
linux without running qemu-dm.

Currently it works only for ia64 and can boot linux (serial console).
I cross-post to xen-devel because I can be of a general interest.

I'd plan to submit patches soon but here is a preview.

Part 1: tools/ - modification to start an hvmstub domain (small)
Part 2: xen/ - IO reflection (small)
Part 3: extra/stubfw - stub firmware (large)

Change to common files are rather small and this is a good news.
The stub firmware is more a proof of concept and need serious enhancement.
It is just minimal to be able to boot linux (ie serial console and one ide
disk).

I am not sure where should go stubfw, so if anyone has suggestions...

Comments are welcome,
Tristan.