Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] xenoprof usage question on ia64/xen

One more comment.
You need to tell the oprofile daemon that this session is xenoprofile
session by "--xen" option.
I hope the following example woule help.
Here we're assuming that domain0 and domain1 exist.

- dom0 active, dom1 passive case example
  on dom0
  # opctonrol --start-daemon --xen=<path to xen-syms> \
    --vmlinux=<path to vmlinux> \
    --active-domains=0 --passive-domains=1
  # opcontrol --start

  <make activity you want>

  # opcontrol --stop (or opcontrol --shutdown?)
  # opreport -l or something to get the result

- both dom0 and dom1 active example
  on dom0
  # opctonrol --start-daemon --xen=<path to xen-syms> \
    --vmlinux=<path to vmlinux> \
    --active-domains=0,1

  on dom1
  # opctonrol --start-daemon --xen=<path to xen-syms> \
    --vmlinux=<path to vmlinux>
  domain1 isn't primary domain so that --active-domains/--passive-domains
  shouldn't be specified.

  on dom0
  # opcontrol --start
  on dom1
  # opcontrol --start

  <make activity you want>

  on dom1
  # opcontrol --stop (or opcontrol --shutdown)
  on dom0
  # opcontrol --stop (or opcontrol --shutdown)

  on dom0
  # opreport -l or something to get the result of dom0
  on dom1
  # opreport -l or something to get the result of dom1

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:35:59PM +0900, Isaku Yamahata wrote:
> Hi Xing.
>
> You need one more ia64 specific patch to the oprofile user land.
> The patch can be found from
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-ia64-devel/2006-11/msg00132.html
> I also attached the patch for your convenience.
>
> I haven't send the patch to the oprofile upstream because
> someone reported the profiled result sometimes looked odd.
> But I haven't looked into it.
> If you use xenoprof/ia64, please report whether the result looks sane
> or bad. (Or unable to use xenoprof.)
> Then, I'll (try to fix it and) send the patch to the oprofile upstream.
>
> thanks.
>
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 05:15:21PM +0800, Xing, Chong wrote:
> >

> > I want to use xenoprof on ia64/xen to do some performance analysis. But
> > xenoprof fails to work.
> >

> > The following is what I have configured:
> >
> >          Xen version:  changeset:   15044:eabda101b0c5
> >
> > download oprofile 0.9.2 and oprofile-0.9.2-xen-r2.patch is patched in
> > domain0,
> > and also built & installed.
> >
> >          domain0 linux kernel is configured and rebuilt for enabling
> > oprofile:
> >
> > CONFIG_PROFILING=y
> >
> > CONFIG_OPROFILE=y
> >

> > But after the above work, xenoprof still can?t work correctly
> >
> > #opcontrol ?start
> >
> > Using default event: CPU_CYCLES:1000000:0:1:1
> >
> > Using 2.6+ OProfile kernel interface.
> >
> > Running perfmon child on CPU0.
> >
> > CREATE_CONTEXT failed: Device or resource busy
> >
> > Waiting on CPU0
> >
> > <hang??>
> >

> > Does anybody have some suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks