[Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [patch 5/5] IA64: Kexec: Use a separate RID for EFI

To: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [patch 5/5] IA64: Kexec: Use a separate RID for EFI
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:42:45 +0900
Cc: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:43:25 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 11:02:30AM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 01:33:29PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 11:49 +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
>
> > > The patch also includes some header foo. This is basically
> > > because pal.h needs to know about GRANULE_SIZE, and thus needs
> > > pgtable.h. But without the header manipulation I added a loop
> > > is formed. I can break this out into another patch if need be.
> > > I'm also happy to examine alternative solutions to this problem,
> > > but to be frank, the headers are a mess.
> >
> >    I'd prefer a separate patch to make it clear what's happening.  Also,
> > is this the reason for the duplicate EFI_RID definitions?  I don't like
> > that ivt.S has it's own definition.  Perhaps including pal.h got missed
> > there, although I'm not sure pal.h is the appropriate place to define
> > EFI_RID, EFI_RR_RESTORE and EFI_RR_SAVE.  Thanks,
>
> Where wasn't supposed to be a duplicate EFI_RID, I suspect I got
> tired and went home at some point and then forgot where I was up to
> the next day. I'll clean it up a bit more and break things up
> into separate patches a bit more.

I had a look into this and there was indeed some room for improvement.
Here is what I have now, which I will post shortly:

* Moved the EFI_XXX macros into efi.h. This seems to
  be a much more natural palce for them. And it seems to
  neither make the headers problem worse or better.

* Moved the macro definitions into a separate patch just
  to make the size of the main patch a bit more managable.

* Moved the header suffling into a separate patch.
  This makes it quite obvious what is going on.

* Use the definition of EFI_RID which is in efi.h inside ivt.S
  - the duplicate was just an oversight, I had hacked that in
    to get things working and then forgotten about it.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/