Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Patch][RFC] remove panic_domain inguest_write_eoi(

To: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Patch][RFC] remove panic_domain inguest_write_eoi() for kexec on HVM
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:33:17 +0900
Cc: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:33:49 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:29:53AM +0900, Akio Takebe wrote:
> Hi, Alex, Horms
>
> Sorry for my late responce.
> >> What do you think about it?
> >
> >   The panic does seem a bit much, but shouldn't we return rather than
> >continue on with a NULL_VECTOR?  Thanks,
> Yes, I also thik so.
> I'll post the new patch.
>
> I'm yet debugging kexec/kdump on HVM.
> I have a question, could you give me advice, Horms?
> kexec-tool set the new start address to jump there through
> relocate_new_kernel.
> Which function do the new start address point?

Hi Takebe-san,

After relocate_new_kernel the code should jump into purgatory.  Or more
specifically, purgatory_start() which is in purgatory/arch/ia64/entry.S
in the kexec-tools source tree. Once it has finished in there it should
end up calling _start() of the second/crash kernel.

If the EFI code is not mapped at 0xf/0xc and you have not
patched kexec-tools, then the code may well get stuck in
purgatory because of the hardcoded PAGE_OFFSET which is
used in PA() inside purgatory/arch/ia64/purgatory-ia64.c

I have serveral work-arounds for this problem, so let me know
if you think that this is where you are getting stuck.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/