Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Question: Special linux dom0 handling in vcpu_trans

To: tgingold@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Question: Special linux dom0 handling in vcpu_translate()
From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:06:49 +0200
Cc: Xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:04:36 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Many thanks for your comments Tristan!

Am Montag, 25. Juni 2007 schrieb tgingold@xxxxxxx:
> Quoting Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > The question  is, should I add an optimization call specific to linux or
> > specific to single optimization features.
>
> I'd prefer single optimization features (using a bit set) but it's just
> my opinion.
Yes this the attempt I would prefer too.
I thought of a structure containing a command and a union of different
structures, where the parameters a moved.

> > I would add an hypercall. This can be called in setup_arch() after
> > setup_xen_features().
>
> Seems OK.  I think you'd better to use a private hypercall (num > 0x100)
OK, I would add a hypercall in xen/include/asm-ia64/dom_fw.h:
#define FW_HYPERCALL_SET_OPT_FEATURE                 0x700UL
and a sub command for the special feature.

> >  The struct arch_domain has to be extended with an optimisation flag.
> > What is your opinion?
>
> VTi already has a few flags.  I don't remember if you can reuse the field
> but adding a new one is ok (for me).
Yes I saw Anthony's mails and the patch for "windows 2003 specific
optimization". But all his code is vti related and specific to a vmx guest
os:
(_v)->domain->arch.vmx_platform.gos_type

> Tristan.

Thanks.
Dietmar.