RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] New tree issues (domU restart anddomVTibootissues)

To: "Zhang, Xing Z" <xing.z.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] New tree issues (domU restart anddomVTibootissues)
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:51:57 -0600
Cc: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:49:59 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 12:30 +0800, Zhang, Xing Z wrote:

> [...]

   What if you have multiple vbds exported to the domain?  Exporting a
CD is an obvious case where you'll have to parse the disk list to guess
a unique path.  What if you boot multiple guests from the same
read-only, live image (like a knoppix copied to disk)?  This seems more
troublesome than naming the nvram file using the domain name.  What
collisions do you foresee with domain names?  Seems like the ideal
scenario would be to save the nvram on the EFI partition
(/efi/xen/nvram).  Maybe the libfsimage functionality used by pygrub
would make this possible.

   BTW, why does my Madison processor system (that can obviously only
run PV domains) have so many error messages in xend.log and
xen-debug.log about not being able to get nvram data from the GFW?  Why
is manipulating nvram even being attempted on a PV guest?  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.