Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Gentlemen, please start your engines! :-)

To: tgingold@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Gentlemen, please start your engines! :-)
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:38:52 -0600
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:36:57 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 15:30 +0200, tgingold@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Quoting Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxx>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > So I kinda got bored of booting Xen on that little test box I have here
> > and tried it out on a medium sized system instead. I ran into a couple
> > of issues in the sn2 specific code and some with default values in the
> > dom kernel being set to silly low numbers ..... like CONFIG_NR_CPUS.
>
> Congratulation!
>
> > Basically I wont be able to go bigger than this before we switch to
> > 4-level page tables for dom0 :-(
>
> > I was hoping someone could point me to a link with a 'how to boot domU
> > for dummies' now that dom0 has booted.
>
> Here is how I do it:
> I create a partition for domU.
> I copy the entire dom0 filesystem to domU partition.
> I modify /etc/inittab, /etc/fstab and a few others (hostname, network...)
> I copy and modify the example in /etc/xen
>
> xend start
> xm create -c xxx

   If you're on Debian, debootstrap is your friend.  Even if you're not
on Debian, you can get debootstrap and easily make Debian domUs.  Just
make a filesystem image, loopback mount it, then run something like (as
root):

debootstrap etch <loopback mount point> http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian

Then you can chroot into the image and fixup the fstab and inittab (to
start a getty in the right place).

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.