Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Picking the P2M address range

To: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Picking the P2M address range
From: Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:32:13 +0200
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:30:11 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Isaku Yamahata wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 10:08:38AM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> I see, so the addresses are calculated by dom0, not by Xen? Yes they
>> match my memory map, but because I have a hole in that space in the
>> physical map I see evtchn_set_pending() (in Xen) trying to scribble into
>> non existing memory which causes me an MCA :-(
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure why evtchn_set_pending() is involved.
> You can disable p2m exposure by setting
> xen_ia64_p2m_expose to 0 in
> linux-2.6-xen-sparse/arch/ia64/xen/hypervisor.c.
> Then you may be able to go further. Later you can get back to this issue.

Hello Isaku,

Just to let you know that this turned out to be a red herring and not
the real cause of the problem I was seeing. Instead it was because I
let dom0 write to the global MMR registers which is what we use on
Altix to purge tlbs .... not good :-(

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Jes