RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] VTD is coming

To: "Isaku Yamahata" <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] VTD is coming
From: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:44:48 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:43:05 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Processor page table refers to shadow page table which is used to emulate guest
page table, this is not related to NPT.

>ia32 VT-d code would be very specific to ia32 so that
>it seems very difficult to have arch generic code.
>It would be reasonable to go for ia64 specific VT-d implementation.

Yes, we need to prepare for VTD/IPF,
I think the first step is to change P2M to vtd page table format.
P2M is related to several components inside XEN, it might take a while,
It is better, if this can be done earlier.

Then we can leverage code from IA32 as possible, after vtd/ia32 code is checked
in. I think we can reuse most of the code, especially the codes in qemu and
control
panel.

Finally, we can debug vtd code when VTD/IPF platform is present.

Thanks,
Anthony