Re: [Xen-devel] include/xen/xencomm.h's copy_field_{to, from}_guest() (P

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] include/xen/xencomm.h's copy_field_{to, from}_guest() (PPC, IA64)
From: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:06:19 +0900
Cc: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 19:05:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:16:38PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> While the header is only being used by PPC, aren't these two macros broken,
> i.e. shouldn't the match the ia64 variants in using the structure base address
> from the handle and passing just _off as last argument to xencomm_copy_...()?
>
> Also, what is the reason for ia64 to cook its own rather than including the
> shared one?

The ia64 xencomm development stragety was that adopt xencomm first,
then consolidate it. But the consolication hasn't been achieved yet.

The PPC developers kindly arranged the common code already so that
the rest task is left to the IA64 developers.
However the task seems to be low priority.
(Others may have different thoughts, though)
Do you think it's important or want to do it?
--
yamahata