RE: [Xen-ia64-devel][Patch]Add two PAL calls whichfixSMPwindowsinstallat

To: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel][Patch]Add two PAL calls whichfixSMPwindowsinstallation crashing bug
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:51:40 -0600
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:50:47 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 15:08 -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> This suggests to me that maybe it's not the
> dual-core vs single-core that's really causing problems, but something
> windows does with "extra" CPUs that we aren't emulating.  Thanks,

   After further consideration, you observed the "extra" CPUs idling in
SAL.  I observed during install that PAL calls were made on the 3rd CPU
just prior to the panic.  The only way I know CPUs could get back into
idling in SAL is through the b0 return path.  Do we get the same panic
with a Linux guest if a CPU hotplug operation is attempted?  I tried to
test this, but I can't seem to get a 2.6.20 kernel to boot (the same
kernel boots fine with Tristan's GFW).  Is this simply a matter that the
GFW needs to support vCPU hotplug?  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.