Re: [Xen-devel] unnecessary VCPU migration happens again

To: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] unnecessary VCPU migration happens again
From: Emmanuel Ackaouy <ack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:01:35 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 06:01:58 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Anthony.

Could you send xentrace output for scheduling operations
in your setup?

Perhaps we're being a little too aggressive spreading
work across sockets. We do this on vcpu_wake right now.

I'm not sure I understand why HVM VCPUs would block
and wake more often than PV VCPUs though. Can you
explain?

If you could gather some scheduler traces and send
results, it will give us a good idea of what's going
on and why. The multi-core support is new and not
widely tested so it's possible that it is being
overly aggressive or perhaps even buggy.

Emmanuel.