Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Problems Booting

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 11:51 -0800, David Brown wrote:
> Okay, Ctrl-A three times does work (it's minicom so its more like 6
> times) it says it's switching between the xen and dom0 but adding
> console=ttyS0 doesn't work, also found this...
>
> <rant>
> What is up with XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL config option?
> First off as fast as I go through menuconfig trying to process a
> double negative takes to long... so it really should be
> XEN_ENABLE_SERIAL.  But besides the point, why disable all serial
> drivers by default? isn't that the main way people capture kernel
> panics and output to debug why the kernel might be failing? This
> really should be default to enable serial drivers.
> </rant>
>
> but that's just me ;)

   XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL simply disables dom0s serial driver.  Xen still
supports serial and allows dom0 access to it through the xencons driver.
This config option is simply to prevent both Xen and dom0 from trying to
claim the same piece of physical UART hardware as their own.  Serial
consoles are still fully supported with XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL.

> >   One other thought based on where you're hanging here.  Is this a
> > zx2000, zx6000, or rx2600?  If so, are you running system firmware
> > release 2.31?  You should see a line like this earlier in bootup:
> >
> > (XEN) SAL 3.1: HP version 2.31
>
> apparently these are the zx2000 (some of the first itanium2's) so this
> may also be a problem.  Honestly, this is the first itanium2 I've used
> ... they seem just a tad bit harder than x86 ;)
>
> (XEN) SAL 1.2c: INTEL   MSL     REF     SAL      version 1.2c
>
> this may need to be updated... *sigh*

   Ouch, that looks old.  There was a mismatch over how the version was
reported for a while, so don't trust the "1.2c" version.  Instead, go to
an EFI shell and run 'info fw'.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.