Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Question: Big Endian domU's

To: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Question: Big Endian domU's
From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:03:06 +0100
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 01:03:25 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Anthony,

> What is the OS using big endian?
It's BS2000 from Fujitsu Siemens Computers. BS2000 is a IBM-390 like mainframe
OS. We do some conceptual studies together with linux and ia64.

> It may not be that easy for supporting big endian.
> XEN may need to access address space which belonging to guest OS,
> So XEN need to take care of big endian.
Yes I understand this.

> Because Linux and Windows are using little endian, we don't take big endian
into consideration from beginning.
This is logical.

> There are many places we need to change for supporting big endian OS.
I know it's a lot to do.
With the mini-os port to ia64 I'm on the way to get more familiar with the xen
interfaces. The next step will be to look deeper in the xen internals. And a
big endian mini-os can be used as the test vehicle.

> But, if you can describe your scenario in depth, Maybe we can increase the
priority of supporting big endian OS.

> Anthony
Thanks.

Dietmar.