[Xen-ia64-devel] Re: ia64 kexec: xen -> linux

To: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Re: ia64 kexec: xen -> linux
From: "Magnus Damm" <magnus.damm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:36:03 +0900
Cc: "Zou, Nanhai" <nanhai.zou@xxxxxxxxx>, Linux-IA64 <linux-ia64@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 02:36:10 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9/15/06, Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

as some of you may be aware I am working on porting kexec
to xen/ia64. I have made a reasoble ammount of progress to this end.
I'll try and get a new patch set on xen-devel some time next week.
However I have a problem that I need some ideas on how to solve.

At the moment when kexecing from xen to linux the boot halts on a call
to efi_gettimeofday(), or more specifically efi.get_time. I'm assuming
that this is more or less the first efi runtime call that is made, and
that it is halting because of a discrepancy in the virtual mapping set
up by efi.set_virtual_address_map().

The problem as I see it is that linux uses a page_offset that covers the
most significant 3 bits, wherase xen uses the first 4. The unfortunate
thing is that efi.set_virtual_address_map() can only be called once,
and I don't think its possible to change the mappings at all once
its been called.

One idea that I had was to make sure that the efi calls are always made
in real mode, and never call efi.set_virtual_address_map() at all - efi
calls have to be made using virtual addressing after
efi.set_virtual_address_map() is called. But can this work?

Another idea from my colleague Magnus was to map the efi runtime calls
into some area of memory that is agreed upon by both Linux and Xen (and
any other kexec-able OS/hypervisor). This seems to be tedious at best.

To clarify this a bit, my plan was to extend the bootloader to provide
some kind resident efi filter code. This code should act as a filter
for all efi run time calls including the dreaded now use-once
set_virtual_address_map() function. The most important task for this
code would be to support an unlimited number of
set_virtual_address_map() calls. I suspect this can be done by always
calling the efi functions from real mode. This technique does however
require switching back and forth to real mode, and I'm not sure how
well that will work out with NMI:s and data that crosses page
boundaries.

A first step would probably be to try to convert Linux into calling
efi runtime functions from real mode. If that works well then the code
can be broken out, made resident and placed into the bootloader.

/ magnus