Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Question to memory handling for domU

To: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Question to memory handling for domU
From: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:26:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:22:39 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Le Jeudi 10 Août 2006 15:13, Dietmar Hahn a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> while I was playing with my mini-os and the memory a short question comes
> up: What memory info is relevant and where gets the domU kernel loaded
> within the (for domU) configured memory?
domU kernel is loaded at its physical address (IIRC).  Check the ELF header.

> I have 128MB configured for domU.
> start_info->nr_pages gives me 8192 pages -> 128MB.
Seems correct :-)

> The memory given by the efi (EfiConventionalMemory) is physically between
> 0x200000 and 0x7ff4000 -> ~2MB are absent.
> Do I have to take this efi memory only, right? How is the absent memory
> used?
You have memory between 0 and 0x200000.  The start_info page is not in the
memmap (IIRC).

> My kernel gets loaded to physically address 0x4000000.
> That means the kernel text and data are nearly in middle of the memory.
> May this be?
Linux loads at 64MB to be 64MB aligned!  As a consequence it may use large
page (64MB) to map itself.

> If yes - I have to check the this and split the memory to
> separate the kernel?
Choose the load address you prefer.

Will mini-os run in physical or virtual mode ?  I think you don't need to use
virtual mode.  This will simplify the code a lot!

Tristan.