Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] General Question on IA-64

To: David Drummond <david6414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] General Question on IA-64
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:12:55 -0600
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:13:11 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 15:18 -0700, David Drummond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know that Xen is now setup for IA-64 but how setup is it.  I noticed that
> many bugs are out there, are these minor errors or is IA-64 still
> problematic?  I guess I really want to know how close Xen is to being fully
> optimized on IA-64?

Hi David,

   Xen/ia64 has made an amazing amount of progress in the past few
months and is now something that is pretty usable and has near
functional parity with Xen/x86.  So far Xen/ia64 as been mainly for
developers, but I believe we're to the point where the project is useful
to users as well.  For the next phase of development, we need to move
stability and performance work up in the priority list.  We're not quite
to the point where I would deploy Xen/ia64 into production, but I think
you'll find we have a very responsive community and the code features
and quality get better every day.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.