RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] [IPF-ia64] with Cset 10690, creating aVTImakexen0 h

To: "Atsushi SAKAI" <sakaia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] [IPF-ia64] with Cset 10690, creating aVTImakexen0 hang
From: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:13:19 +0800
Cc: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:16:21 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I suspect the slowness is not due to dom0 being scheduled out, but due to
hlt_timer
didn't work as expected.
           set_timer(&v->arch.hlt_timer, vcpu_get_next_timer_ns(v));
           do_sched_op_compat(SCHEDOP_block, 0);
There is a time window between set_timer and dom0 being scheduled out, and
psr.i
is 1. So if hlt_timer fires before do_sched_op_compat being called, dom0 will
not be woken up by hlt_timer, and there is no timer interrupt for dom0 until
domo
is woken up ,yes, dom0 can be woken up by other external interrupts, but not by
timer interrupt. And since dom0 is involved in VTIdomain bootup, this may lead
to slowness of VTIdomain bootup.

Above is my analysis, there isn't any evidence.

You can do experiment to check it.
Change above code sequence as following, this may reduce the impact of time
window.

set_timer(&v->arch.hlt_timer, cycle_to_ns(local_cpu_data->itm_delta)+NOW());
do_sched_op_compat(SCHEDOP_block, 0);