Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [patch] [0/11] Support INIT handler of xen(Take3)

To: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [patch] [0/11] Support INIT handler of xen(Take3)
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:13:56 -0600
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:14:10 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 14:12 +0900, Akio Takebe wrote:
> Thank you very much!
> I reviewed your test tree, and these changes are almost good.
> I tested dom0/domU booting and INIT work with the test tree
> and the results are good.

Hi Akio,

  "almost" good?  Is there something that still needs to be fixed, or
should I go ahead a push it into xen-ia64-unstable?

> BTW, I appreciate your work.
> I'd like to reduce your maintenance work. :-)
> I learned about the following things by seeing your test tree.
> We should do the below for reducing your maintenace work, shouldn't we?
> 1. If we port some features from linux,
>    we add normal file into xen/arch/ia64/linux-xen.
> 2. Then we modify xen/arch/ia64/linux-xen/README.orig
> 3. We make the above patch. This is the first patch
> 4. We add the changes to porting to xen.
> 5. We make a patch of the chages. This is second patch.
>
> And we send the two patch to xen-ia64-devel.
> We should use linux-2.6.13 for porting to xen.
> The latest stable linux from www.kernel.org is better than linux-2.6.13.
>
> Am I correct?

   Yes, this makes things much easier.  It gives a known starting point
with changesets incrementally changing from the base.  It also makes
review on the mailing list much easier.  We can typically skip over
reviewing the details of patches that are only adding files from Linux
and concentrate on the changes we're making to the files.  Isaku did
this for the P2M/VP patches and I thought it was a good idea.

   Linux-2.6.13 is the current Xen/ia64 base and the preferred base for
pulling in new files.  However, if we need features and bug fixes from
newer versions of Linux, I'll accept those too (try to make note of the
different base in the README.origin file, see the iosapic.c entry for
example).  At some point we should update the Linux base files in the
Xen/ia64 tree, but I think we've all been too busy adding new features
and stabilizing to make that jump.

   Sorry for leading you down the path of pulling code out of mca.c into
a non-linux-xen file.  In the end, I think the leverage from the
upstream file became more obvious and the upcoming MCA work made me
reluctant to proceed down that path.  The #ifdef/#endifs can get ugly
and tedious, but I think we just need to get more creative in organizing
the modifications to account for that.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.