[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: PATCH: merge iva

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Williamson, Alex (Linux Kernel Dev)" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: PATCH: merge iva
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:49:44 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:49:58 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The reason that there are two groups of privileged registers,
one in privregs (directly accessible by the guest) and one
in arch_vcpu (not directly accesible) is that arch_vcpu is
for registers that are not performance-sensitive AND might
otherwise need to be validated before every use.  For
example, iva is used every time an interruption is reflected
to a guest, which happens many thousands of times/second.
If the guest could randomly (maliciously or accidentally)
change iva, Xen should re-validate it before using it (e.g.
to ensure that it is not in Xen address space, to ensure
it is not an I/O address etc.)  By allowing it to be changed
only via the privileged instruction (trapped/emulated), it
need only be validated when set (once at boot time for Linux).

I realize validation may not be fully implemented (and there may
be some registers in the wrong place), but that's the intent.