RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] kernel build performance data with dom0_VP modeopen

To: "Zhang, Jingke" <jingke.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] kernel build performance data with dom0_VP modeopen
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:23:10 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:23:56 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At first, I suspected that this degradation was entirely
due to the fact that large (64MB?) kernel pages were
now causing many more TLB/VHPT misses because they are
fragmented into 16KB pages.  However, I am
seeing that domU performance is also reduced by ~3%,
and domU had this fragmentation prior to VP.

Jingke, have you performed the same measurement on domU?
If so, can you post your results?

Anybody have any other ideas as to what might be
causing this (major) performance degradation?

Thanks,
Dan