[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: Xen in Fedora-ia64

To: <fedora-ia64-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: Xen in Fedora-ia64
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:57:49 -0700
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:58:02 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Sorry for breaking thread links... I receive fedora-ia64-list
in digest form, but the cc to xen-ia64-devel didn't get to
me for some reason so I have to respond to the digested
version and manually change the Subject.)

> Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 08:40:57 -0400
> From: Prarit Bhargava <prarit@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Fedora-ia64-list] RE: Xen in Fedora-ia64
> To: ia64 Fedora Core Development <fedora-ia64-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi Dan,
> >
> > Could you explain further?  The core Xen patches for Linux/ia64
> > have been stable since last summer.  There are driver-related
> > patches that are still evolving, but that is also true of the
> > patches for Xen/x86, which is already in Fedora.
> >

> That last timeI looked at the Xen patches they applied, however, they
> broke non-Xen enabled kernels.  IMO, there was a lot of work
> required to
> get the patchset clean enough to be acceptable into Fedora.

Hmmm... I'm not at all clear on what you mean here.  What bits
are you grabbing that cause this problem?  Building Xenlinux/ia64
from xen-unstable and xen-3.0 is done with "make world" (using
the existing Xen sparse mechanism).  Dozens of people are using
this successfully.  I suspect you are trying some build tree or
mechanism that nobody else (in the xen-ia64 community) has tried,
so I guess it is no surprise if it is broken. :-}  We would be
happy to fix it but need more info to understand the problem.

Perhaps you are referring to the fact that some Xenlinux/x86
build directories are mv'd aside when building Xenlinux/ia64?
If so, that can be fixed...  I think it would only be a problem
if you tried to "make world" Xen+Xenlinux/x86 and Xen+Xenlinux/ia64
in the same source directory (e.g. over NFS from both an x86 and
ia64 boxen).

Thanks,
Dan