RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] domU faster than native? Not really....

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] domU faster than native? Not really....
From: "Yang, Fred" <fred.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:16:28 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:16:48 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Although this is an interesting data point, when testing
>for domU performance degradation, we need to measure the
>total work performed by the entire system, including
>the hypervisor and dom0.  Probably the best way to
>do that is to always boot Xen with "nosmp" when running
>domU performance regression testing.

One observation.  Itanium is usually built with MP especially for the
platforms to run Xen/IPF in future.  And Xen is not limited to run on a
CPU in a MP environment.

To match with actual model, you do want to specify the max CPU to match
total CPU number of Dom0 and DomU, but not to limit Xen only run on a
single CPU.

-Fred