RE: [Xen-devel] Does dom0 see all physical processors? (RE:[Xen-ia64-dev

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Does dom0 see all physical processors? (RE:[Xen-ia64-devel] SAL INFO virtualization)
From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:55:43 -0400
Cc: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, okrieg@xxxxxxxxxx, Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:57:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 07:07 -0700, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:

> I believe ppc has "paravirtualized spinlocks" in their Linux
> kernel

ppc64 does.  From include/asm-ppc64/spinlock.h:

/*
 * On a system with shared processors (that is, where a physical
 * processor is multiplexed between several virtual processors),
 * there is no point spinning on a lock if the holder of the lock
 * isn't currently scheduled on a physical processor.  Instead
 * we detect this situation and ask the hypervisor to give the
 * rest of our timeslice to the lock holder.
 *
 * So that we can tell which virtual processor is holding a lock,
 * we put 0x80000000 | smp_processor_id() in the lock when it is
 * held.  Conveniently, we have a word in the paca that holds this
 * value.
 */

A quick hack for this which simply did a yield sched_op when it detected
a collision could be done in the same way from a paravirtualised kernel
without any HV changes; but I think it would take extra scheduler help
to do a directed yield to a specific CPU.

--Stephen