[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: SMP-g design notes

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: SMP-g design notes
From: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:55:24 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:56:03 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Because it is design time, here are some note about my SMP-g work.
> The current patch is very small.  I tried only to bring-up SMP-g ASAP to
> catch
> more SMP bugs.  Also I tried to minimize Linux kernel changes.
<philosophy>
In almost all design decisions you need to make tradeoffs ... I don't
think that "minimizing Linux kernel changes" should be very high up
the list of priorities when making a choice.  Correctness is always
at the top, meeting requirements, complexity, maintainability and
performance should be close behind.  Not disturbing the existing source
base too much is much further down the list (which is not to be
interpreted as "Tony wants to see huge patches that change everything"
... when they come, Tony wants to see intelligent patches that do the
right things in the right layer rather than a minimal patch in one
layer, and an ugly mess to compensate in another layer).
</philosophy>

-Tony