[Xen-ia64-devel] Floating-point software assist (FPSWA) on Xen-ia64

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Floating-point software assist (FPSWA) on Xen-ia64
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:29:50 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:38:38 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yongkang has discovered that some LTP tests fail
because Xen/ia64 (non-VTI) does not support FPSWA.
Non-support of FPSWA is a known problem that has
been on the to-do list for some time:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2004-12/msg00382.html

but this is the first time that it has been seen
in real (test) usage.

Yongkang says that the test works with VTI.  How does
VTI handle FPSWA?  Is direct access to fpswa.efi provided
to every domain or is fpswa.efi "owned" by the hypervisor
and floating-point assist traps handled by Xen invisibly
to domains?

A couple of related questions:  Is fpswa.efi re-entrant?
Does fpswa.efi ever disable interrupts?

I don't think this will be hard to fix, but it would
be best if the implementation is consistent between
VTI and non-VTI.

Thanks,
Dan