[Xen-ia64-devel] xen-unstable broken due to CONFIG_SMP problem

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] xen-unstable broken due to CONFIG_SMP problem
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:48:54 -0800
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:55:23 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A recent change to xen-unstable (cset 8567) changed
vcpu_set_affinity in xen/common/schedule.c to use
cpu_online_mask.  On Xen/ia64 with !CONFIG_SMP, this
variable is not declared so compiling Xen fails.
The attached patch works around the problem but if
vcpu_set_affinity is ever called on Xen/ia64 (with
CONFIG_SMP off), bad things will probably happen.

Since this patch is really a hack, I thought I would
solicit better patches first.  In particular, there
are several hacks to compile !CONFIG_SMP on Xen/ia64...
see config.h and note that most of smpboot.c is #ifdef
CONFIG_SMP (but probably need not be).  Or, since
Xen/x86 always is compiled with CONFIG_SMP, it might
be best to fix CONFIG_SMP (flush_tlb_mask(), possibly
other fixes) and also always compile Xen/ia64 with
CONFIG_SMP.

Any comments?  Any volunteers?

Thanks,
Dan